Saturday, July 4, 2009

Experiments





I have challenged myself to create at least one new type of arrangement a week for the rest of the summer. I went to a great lecture on floral design a few weeks ago at Hillwood - the Marjorie Merrieweather Post estate in DC. They have an incredible cutting garden and I am so jealous.
Anyway, the speaker, a florist from California, was quite upfront about lifting design ideas from everyone and everywhere and that was quite liberating. So, my friend Lesley and I will try out some new ideas based on the designs of others and see where it leads us.

The basis of this design was 4 tall elements in the corners of the vase over a pave type arrangement. I used white dahlias for the tall elements, with the same dahlias, grey brunia and hanging amaranthus in the pave. Lesley used sunflowers for the tall elements and mums and brezillia berries for the pave and added a cage of river cane to keep the sunflowers upright and a middle element of lavender.

No comments: