Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Virginia's irises

Last summer, my optician, with whom I have become friends, gave me and Helen a tour of her iris garden.  She has lots of different varieties and we chose those we loved.  A few weeks later she gave me a bag of iris rhizomes which I course let sit in the garage until they were dried out twigs.  I finally felt guilty enough to plant them in my little nursery bed on the side of the house and hoped for the best. 
Amazing, this spring, they have flourished and are sending up the most beautiful blossoms.  I am thrilled.  I will tag them as to color and then divide them so Helen can have some as well.

  Years ago I was driving along and saw a tiny sign on the side of the road that said Irises (with a little arrow).  I followed it and came to the garden of Betty White (the other Betty White of course).  She grew irises and would sell you a cutting for $3.  She had hundreds of varieties in her garden and grew them in large beds in rows.  It was a magical place and I have thought about her garden for years.  So now, maybe I will get started on my own collection, years later than advised but anyway.

No comments: