Monday, January 10, 2011

More experiments

I have a BFA in textile design from the School for American Craftsmen in Rochester, NY.  We had too much fun during that time (my husband was there for furniture design).  I loved weaving and still hold on to my wonderful Macomber loom and yarn in hopes of getting back to things at some point.  For a long time I have been thinking about how to incorporate weaving into floral design and again, as a result of the work with Ruth (see the previous post), I have been trying some things out.  For this piece I wove a scaffolding of raffia all around a square glass vase tieing pieces together and making the random pattern of the knots part of the overall design.  I wanted to use a dramatic flower in this piece, one that was tropical since the raffia refers to that type of look,  so I got some white anthirium flowers and kept them low so there was a nice contrast between the smooth surface of the flowers and the rougher surface of the raffia.  I then wove some wire grass in leaving large loops in order to create some linear volume.  Again, just an experiment, but certainly fun.   Just like craft school. 

No comments: